Recently, Bethenny has been receiving a lot of requests for recommendations of where to go, stay, and have fun in New York with tweens. Below, she and Bryn share some of their favorite spots and recommendations:
Places to Visit
- The Sloomoo Institute – put your germaphobic tendencies aside and just be a kid all over again with your tween. Experience every possible type of slime made – squish it, twirl it, poke it, smell it – get all your sensory fulfillment in this phenomenal palace of slime. You can even “get slimed” for an additional fee. We love the chronology of slime that covers the wall leading into the main space, making you feel like this is an educational experience.
- The Museum of Ice Cream – Up the block from the SIoomoo Institute, this museum is dedicated to all things ice cream, with several “exhibitions” that allow visitors to immerse themselves in ice-cream related experiences, like a massive vat of sprinkles.
- The Oculus Transportation Hub – where the World Trade Center used to be, this architectural masterpiece serves as a stunning (in many ways) reminder of the attacks of September 11, 2001. Read here how the architects paid tribute to details of the attack in various design elements. It also boasts some great shopping and dining options like Eataly, Blue Bottle Coffee, and Sugarfina.
- Chill out with dinner and a movie at the IPIC Theater – indulge in their spicy tuna lettuce cups, chicken and red waffle, Mahi fish tacos, or just straight-up pepperoni pizza.
- The Whitney Museum of American Art – spend an afternoon in the meatpacking district and make sure to visit The Whitney to check out the latest exhibition. Check out events they may have planned for families and teens during your trip.
Places to Shop
- Adika – the self-described “fashion wonderland” in Soho has a line for younger women with the latest on-trend apparel, shoes and accessories for tweens.
- Brookfield Place for some mom and daughter retail therapy and great food options like Black Seed Bagel, Blue Ribbon Sushi, Juice Press, and Parm.
- Brandy Melville – in case there isn’t one in your town, you can visit one of two locations in NYC. Just be aware that many of their items are “one size fits all” which rarely actually fits all.
- Dylan’s Candy Bar – because shopping for candy is still “shopping”, right? You’ll find more than just every candy under the sun, including stuffed animals, fuzzy candy-printed shorts, and the latest trends for people who still have baby teeth to lose.
Places to Eat
- Carbone – what tween doesn’t love a huge steaming plate of spaghetti pomodoro? The mere fact that an entire section of the menu is titled “Macaroni” says a lot.
- Max Brenner – the perfect place for chocolate fiends and grown-ups alike. Along with the huge dose of Willy Wonka comes a crowd-pleasing savory menu – there is something for everyone.
- Serendipity – known for its frozen hot chocolate and other decadent desserts, this is a NY go to for families with a sweet tooth.
- Sugar Factory – another cavity-inducing spot that is a celeb favorite. With huge, candy-laden, dry-ice drinks and shakes, and wildly colored slider buns, this place is a tween favorite. Everything is over the top – it’s almost as enjoyable watching what your neighbors are eating as it is eating your own meal.